Sunday, May 4, 2014

Some more Lathe Improvements

This weekend I was able to squeeze in a couple of lathe improvements

First I was able to get my 4 Jaw chuck up and mounted. Earlier in the year, I managed to pick up two items relatively cheap on e-bay.


 The first was an old B-42 Collet Closer with an L-00 backplate. Due to the high cost and limited range of B-42 collets the closer will be of limited use for now. But I have plans to convert it to use ER-40 Collets that should be much cheaper and easier to get.  But the price I paid for the whole setup was less than a new backplate, so I got the closer for free :)
Front of Collet Closer

Rear of collet closer
 A little later, I found a nice 8" Horton 4-Jaw chuck. Appearently, nobody else did, and I got a nice solid 4-jaw for about $75 shipped. I think my mail person now hates me, since this little beauty came packed in a medium flat rate box. I guess if it fits, it does ship :)

Back of 4 Jaw

Front of 4 Jaw
In order to mount the chuck to the backplate, a few modificatons were needed. First off, the original mounting screws were 7/16" Filister head screws that went through the old backplate and had heavy hex nuts on them. I decided to replace them with 3/8"-18 Sochet head cap screws. This meant that the counterbores in the chuck needed to be a little deeper to deal with the heads.
Chuck with Jaws removed clamped to the mill
 I removed the Jaws and clamped the chuck to the table on the mill. In order to protect the screws from cast iron filings, I filled the slots with shop rags.
Inidicating in the old hole - Counter bore tool also shown
 Next I indicated in each of the counterbores and ran a 3/8" counterbore tool to ~3/8" depth.

Earlier, I mounted the backplate and re-faced the flange to minimize the runout on my lathe. I also turned down the outside diameter to fit the recess in the 4 jaw. The bolt pattern for the collet closer is still intact, so this backplate can be used for either application . The backplate was clamped on the mill and I indicated off of the boss to find the center. I then Drilled and tapped 4 3/8-18 holes to match the chuck.
Backing plate on mill with holes drilled and tapped


 Here is the backing plate mounted to the chuck:
Backing plate mounted to chuck
 And here is the chuck mounted to the lathe:
Chuck mounted on the lathe
The only thing left at this point is to make a replacement chuck key for the 4-Jaw. The 3 Jaw is a 1/2 square, while the 4-jaw is a 7/16.

The second job this weekend was to improve the legs on the lathe. When I first setup the lathe, I just mounted adjustable feet from McMaster to some 1/2 screws. Unfortunately the mounting tabs on the lathe are not very thick, so the feet always looked a bit precarious.

Old Foot Setup
 I picked up some thick walled 2x2 tubing and drilled some oversize holes in the ends. After that, I painted them to match the rest of the lathe.

2x2 tubes after painting
 These tubes were then mounted underneath the existing mounts to make the feet a little more stable. I made some 0.2" thick washers to help support the weight of the machine better.

Detail of New Foot setup

New Foot under lathe.