Sunday, March 2, 2014

Apron Rebuild

Ok, today I got my apron mostly reassembled. There were a couple of parts that needed to be replaced. Thanks to the shop at work I was able to turn these while without a lathe...

First up is the Idler bushing on the Cross feed clutch gear. This is just a simple stepped bronze bushing, but the walls are fairly thick, so I couldn't find an off the shelf one to modify. I used a 2" drop as a starting point and just whittled away.
New bushing (pressed into gear) and old one for reference

The next item to be replaced was the pinion shaft that rides on the rack. The gear teeth were worn out and the shaft had about .002"-.003" of wear at the bearing surfaces. I bought a new 20 tooth gear and made a sleeve to fit over the back to get the length and diameter to be the same as the old one. I then made a replacement shaft out of pre-hardened 4140. I think this will be my go-to shaft material for future projects. I used a carbide insert and as long as I didn't try to take too shallow a cut, I could get a really nice surface finish. I turned the main shaft down to 0.687" and the stub to 0.501 to give a decent prss fit into the gear. One slight modification over the original design was the key. The Clausing shaft has a #3 woodruff key, but I couldn't find the right size cutter at work. So I made a flat key instead.
Old Pinion (top) and new parts New Pinion assembly (Top) and Original for comparison.

After the parts were done, it was time to put the whole thing back together.

Front of the rejuvinated apron

Half Nuts - Before Rear View - After

Top View - Before Top View - After
I decided to leave the handles unpainted for now. I think the clutch handle looks much better now, but I am not sure about the half nut handle yet. I am still waiting for some good weather in Pennsylvania so that my source can finally get the worm gear out of storage. Also, at some point I am going to have to figure out how to rework/replace the half nuts, since the threads are pretty worn out.