Sunday, February 16, 2014

Lathe Painting - Part 2

Today, I was able to put the first coat of paint on the base:
Bottom of Base after first coat

Top of Base after first coat
I choose a light shade of gray than the orginal shown below for two reasons:
  1. I wanted to better match the shade of gray on the Bridgeport
  2. The lighter color should help maximize whatever lighting I can put up in the garage 
At this point, I think I am going to re-paint the external parts but the internal ones like the back cover and the motor mount plates will stay the original color. I will also leave the tail stock for later, since it's pretty easy to remove once I feel like painting again :)
Samples of original color on back cover and bottom of the bed




In addition to the paining, I also did some more de-griming :

Headstock and bed after some more cleaning

Back Cover with less grime

Motor Mount before

Motor Mount Parts Now
Gear Train before

Gear Train Parts Now